Women slightly behind men in Lok Sabha
New Delhi: Even as Parliament awaits a conclusion to the Women`s Reservation bill, data shows that female MPs are slightly behind their male counterparts in terms of performance in the Lok Sabha.
According to the figures made available by parliament research think-tank PRS Legislative Research, women MPs on an average participated in 11 debates in the two years of the current Lok Sabha and men in 16. Overall, a house member participated in 15.6 debates.
The average number of questions asked by each woman MP was 84, as against 122 asked by each male MP, while the average was 119.
The private member bills presented by a woman on an average came out to be less than one, at 0.2, as against the average of 0.4.
Their attendance was, however, better than men. It was 79 percent for women, compared to 77 percent for men. The overall average was 77 percent.
In the just-concluded monsoon session, however, women performed at par with men. Average participation in debates was 2.9 for women.
On average, each woman MP asked 22 questions and had 82 percent attendance, compared to the average of 25 questions and 80 percent attendance by MPs, irrespective of the gender.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!