Women vulnerable in all metros: Shobhaa De
Kolkata: Women in all metros of the country are vulnerable and not only in few places, well-known author and journalist Shobhaa De said on Thursday.
"I think not only in Kolkata, women all over the country particularly in the metros are unsafe. In metros when there is a large workforce, women are more vulnerable," she said at an interaction with FICCI Ladies Organisation (FLO) here.
"I will not suggest that women should know martial arts or carry chilli powder in their bags to stave off outrageous acts against them. It is the duty of the people`s representatives and the police to act quickly and get the perpetrators punished as quickly as possible.
"But unfortunately, this is not happening in the country at the moment", she observed adding it is the duty of the state to protect women`s modesty.
De suggested that the government should devise some regulations to restrict access to internet pornography.
"In the infamous Delhi rape-cum-murder case, the juvenile offender had confessed that he had watched pornography in the internet before committing the crime," she said to elucidate her point.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi