Women vulnerable in all metros: Shobhaa De
Kolkata: Women in all metros of the country are vulnerable and not only in few places, well-known author and journalist Shobhaa De said on Thursday.
"I think not only in Kolkata, women all over the country particularly in the metros are unsafe. In metros when there is a large workforce, women are more vulnerable," she said at an interaction with FICCI Ladies Organisation (FLO) here.
"I will not suggest that women should know martial arts or carry chilli powder in their bags to stave off outrageous acts against them. It is the duty of the people`s representatives and the police to act quickly and get the perpetrators punished as quickly as possible.
"But unfortunately, this is not happening in the country at the moment", she observed adding it is the duty of the state to protect women`s modesty.
De suggested that the government should devise some regulations to restrict access to internet pornography.
"In the infamous Delhi rape-cum-murder case, the juvenile offender had confessed that he had watched pornography in the internet before committing the crime," she said to elucidate her point.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list