Women`s bill to sound death knell for Muslims, says Owaisi
New Delhi: A Muslim member in the Lok Sabha
today alleged that the Women`s Reservation Bill in its present
form would sound a "death knell" for his community as the
House will eventually turn into a "Hindu Lok Sabha".
Asaduddin Owaisi of the All India Majlis-E-Ittehadul
Muslimeen claimed that the Bill in its present form will
deprive the Muslim community of its place in the legislature
and the House will eventually turn into a "Hindu Lok Sabha".
Participating in the discussion on the Motion of Thanks to
the President`s Address, Owaisi said if the Bill was passed,
Muslims will have "no space" and it will sound a "death knell"
for the community.
"We oppose women`s reservation as it will sound a death
knell for the Muslims...the reservation should start with the
Muslim community as they are socially backward. Otherwise, the
Lok Sabha will turn into a Hindu Lok Sabha," he said.
He pointed out that there was only one Muslim member each
from Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka and Maharashtra in the Lower
House of Parliament.
However, when he raised the issue, Sumitra Mahajan,
chairing the proceedings, asked him to restrain himself.
Some members, including those from the Treasury Benches
objected to his remarks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!