Women`s group demands thorough probe into Sunanda`s death
New Delhi: A women`s group Monday demanded a thorough investigation into the mysterious death of Sunanda Pushkar, wife of union minister Shashi Tharoor.
The All India Democratic Women`s Association (AIDWA) expressed concern at the "arbitrary and non-serious way" in which the probe into the death of Pushkar is being carried out.
"The case has been transferred back to the south district (police) from the Crime Branch without providing justified reasons," the AIDWA said in a statement.
The association demanded the reasons behind the transfer to be "spelt out clearly".
In the statement, the AIDWA said the transfer only "raised suspicions" about chances of "external interventions" in the case which involves Tharoor.
Pushkar was found dead under mysterious circumstances in her room at a hotel in south Delhi Jan 17.
"It has been 10 days since her death, and so far there hasn`t been any police investigation. Moreover, there are reliable reports suggesting that some instructions were being given to close the case files by putting it in `cold cases cell`," it said.
AIDWA added that Pushkar`s autopsy reports specified injury marks on her body and that the investigation agencies were "duty bound to establish whether violence or foul play was involved" in her death.
It also suggested that investigation agencies ascertain Tharoor`s role in the matter.
"AIDWA feels that there should be a fair, thorough and speedy investigation into this case. No `clean chits` should be given to people involved, either by police or ministers before the investigation is over," the statement said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers