`Won`t compromise on mid-day meal quality`
New Delhi: Government will not compromise with quality in mid-day meal programme and the HRD Ministry will scout for resources after the Petroleum Ministry turned down its request for supplying subsidised LPG for the programme.
"Whatever the Petroleum Ministry gives or finance ministry gives, we will not compromise on the quality of mid- day meal, that we are committed. We will manage, we will find resources but we will not compromise on that programme," Pallam Raju told a news agency at the sidelines of a programme of Delhi University.
Earlier, Minister of State for HRD Shashi Tharoor had said that the request of the HRD Ministry has not been agreed to and the Petroleum Ministry has advised that the additional burden could be compensated to the HRD Ministry through the budgetary provision for mid-day meal scheme. The cap on LPG cylinder will put an additional burden of Rs 653 crore on the scheme.
Worried that the mid-day meal programme could be hit by the cap on subsidised LPG cylinders, the then HRD minister Kapil Sibal had written to the Petroleum Ministry in October suggesting that it consider providing subsidised LPG cylinders for the current fiscal year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch
- In Pics: Indian Super League 2015 opening ceremony!
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Read: What Salman Khan has to say about Akshay's 'Singh Is Bliing'