Word `workmen` to be replaced by `worker` in law
New Delhi: Government on Thursday showed its sensitivity on gender issues by deciding to amend the title of a law by replacing the word `workmen` by `worker` in it.
The Union Cabinet at its meeting approved a proposal to amend the title of the Inter-State Migrant Workmen (Regulation of Employment and Conditions of Service) Act of 1979 to Inter-State Migrant Workers (Regulation of Employment
and Conditions of Service) Act, 1979.
A bill to give effect to this amendment would be introduced in the ensuing session of Parliament, Information and Broadcasting Minister Ambika Soni told reporters after the Cabinet meeting.
The Act, which regulates the employment of inter-state migrant workers and their conditions of service, would become gender neutral by amending its title and replacing the word `workman and workmen` by the words `worker and workers`
respectively, she said.
The law was enacted to safeguard the interests of migrant workers in a system which is an exploitative one, Soni said.
A Task Force, constituted for amendment of labour laws concerning women and children, recommended the change in the title to make it gender neutral. This recommendation was accepted and the amendment was proposed, she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened