Work resumes on stalled project on Sino-Indian border
Leh: After being stalled due to threats from the Chinese side of Line of Actual Control, work on an irrigation project along the Indus river in the border town of Nyoma in north of Jammu and Kashmir has resumed with additional security cover provided by Indian forces.
"The work has begun again from September 23," Ladakh Autonomous Hill Development Council (LAHDC) Chief Executive Councillor Rigjin Spalbar told a news agency today over phone from Mumbai.
The work could be started only after Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP), a border guarding force along the Sino-Indian border, deployed additional strength in the remote border town, 170 km from here. The work on the project continues daily between 8 am and 5 pm.
The work was stalled here in the middle of August after armed Chinese People Liberation Army (PLA) personnel came up to the banks of Indus river and reportedly asked the contractor to stop the work on the irrigation project on the Kuyul-Gomba-Yardol-Thuksey Irrigation Scheme in the Nyoma Block.
Taken aback by the Chinese Army`s attempts to interfere, LAHDC shot off letters to ITBP and Leh-based 14 Corps seeking protection for the contractors to complete the project that was started in 2006. The Kuyul-Gomba-Yardol-Thuksey irrigation scheme was sanctioned under Border Area Development Programme (BADP) in 2005-06 at a cost of Rs 63.80 lakh.
Under the scheme, water will be lifted from the river and released into a nearly 4-km long canal to provide irrigation facility and drinking water.
However, only 1.8 km of canal has been constructed till date.
Spalbar said, "We have made it clear that the project is aimed for providing drinking water to people only and has nothing to do with any defence or Army".
He said they were trying to finish off the work at the earliest though chances of the project getting delayed beyond this winter were likely as more than six weeks were lost in the stand-off due to Chinese Army`s threats.
"They (Chinese Army) had no business to interfere," he said.
Army spokesperson at Udhampur-based Northern Command and ITBP refused to comment on the issue.
The region is known for repeated incursions by the Chinese Army but this time the troops reportedly came armed with their weapons and warned the labourers to stop the work on the scheme.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow