Worker abuse by diplomats a problem, advocates say
New York: The arrest of an Indian consular official in New York for allegedly forcing her maid to toil for little pay has highlighted a problem advocates say is all too common workers for foreign governments who bring along the baggage of human trafficking to the US.
Anti-trafficking lawyer Dana Sussman says the claims of abuse are made against international workers at all levels.
She is representing the housekeeper.
The most recent case has caused tension between the US and India. The country`s deputy consul general in New York was arrested on charges accusing her of lying on a visa form by stating she paid her housekeeper USD 4,500 a month, but actually paid her less than USD 3 per hour.
She has denied the charges.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred