Worker abuse by diplomats a problem, advocates say
New York: The arrest of an Indian consular official in New York for allegedly forcing her maid to toil for little pay has highlighted a problem advocates say is all too common workers for foreign governments who bring along the baggage of human trafficking to the US.
Anti-trafficking lawyer Dana Sussman says the claims of abuse are made against international workers at all levels.
She is representing the housekeeper.
The most recent case has caused tension between the US and India. The country`s deputy consul general in New York was arrested on charges accusing her of lying on a visa form by stating she paid her housekeeper USD 4,500 a month, but actually paid her less than USD 3 per hour.
She has denied the charges.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Akshay Kumar’s avatar in John Abraham, Varun Dhawan starrer ‘Dishoom’ will surprise you– See pic
- Bangladesh police storm militant hideout, kill 9 Islamist extremists in Dhaka
- Anita Hassanandani, Rohit Reddy’s Maldives trip will give you vacation goals- See Pics
- India will never forget sacrifices of soldiers: PM Narendra Modi on Kargil Vijay Diwas
- Flirt with the waves a la Lisa Haydon – Watch video