Worker abuse by diplomats a problem, advocates say
New York: The arrest of an Indian consular official in New York for allegedly forcing her maid to toil for little pay has highlighted a problem advocates say is all too common workers for foreign governments who bring along the baggage of human trafficking to the US.
Anti-trafficking lawyer Dana Sussman says the claims of abuse are made against international workers at all levels.
She is representing the housekeeper.
The most recent case has caused tension between the US and India. The country`s deputy consul general in New York was arrested on charges accusing her of lying on a visa form by stating she paid her housekeeper USD 4,500 a month, but actually paid her less than USD 3 per hour.
She has denied the charges.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read