Worker abuse by diplomats a problem, advocates say
New York: The arrest of an Indian consular official in New York for allegedly forcing her maid to toil for little pay has highlighted a problem advocates say is all too common workers for foreign governments who bring along the baggage of human trafficking to the US.
Anti-trafficking lawyer Dana Sussman says the claims of abuse are made against international workers at all levels.
She is representing the housekeeper.
The most recent case has caused tension between the US and India. The country`s deputy consul general in New York was arrested on charges accusing her of lying on a visa form by stating she paid her housekeeper USD 4,500 a month, but actually paid her less than USD 3 per hour.
She has denied the charges.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bipasha Basu, Karan Singh Grover set floor ablaze with killer moves at wedding reception – Watch here
- Petrol, diesel-run cabs banned from Delhi-NCR roads from today
- Wealth from waste: A novel Indian biotech solution
- IAF chopper sprinkles water to douse Uttarakhand forest fires; Rajnath Singh reviews situation
- China may reconsider stand on Pakistani terrorists Hafiz Saeed, Masood Azhar?