Worker`s death: NHRC issues notice to Overseas Ministry
New Delhi: The National Human Rights Commission has issued a notice to the Ministry of Overseas Affairs for not handing over the body of an Indian worker, who died in Riyadh last month, to his family for the last rites.
Acting on a complaint filed by the wife of deceased Laxminarayan Sharma of Rajasthan`s Jhunjhunu district, the NHRC issued notice to the Secretary, Ministry of Indian Overseas Affairs and sought a report within four week, a statement from the Rights body said.
Laxminarayan`s wife, Draupdi Devi, had approached NHRC with the complaint alleging that the body of her husband who died in Riyadh on September 14, has still not been given to the family for the last rites back home despite several attempts.
Her husband was working as a driver for past five months in Masco Mohammad Ali Al Sohlam Company Ltd, Jijan in Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, having its head office in Riyadh.
"Shrama died on September 14. But despite several attempts no information or help was being provided to the family in getting her husband`s body to perform the last rites," the statement said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack