Working on comprehensive maritime security framework: Navy
Chennai: The Navy is working on a comprehensive Maritime Security Framework to counter all aspects of threats, involving multi-agency coordination and cooperation, according to a top Navy official.
Vice Admiral Anurag G Thapliyal, Commandant, Naval Academy, Ezhimala said this framework is necessary to check all aspects of threats (terrorism, gun runners, human traffickers, pirates and hijackers), but not a small task since agencies like the Ministries of Defence, Home, Shipping Road Transport and Highways and Petroleum and Natural Gas are involved.
He said about 200 coastal police stations, 100 police checkposts and 58 outposts would be established in phases. "Many of these have been made operational", he said, adding
that nine additional coast guard stations are also proposed to be set up.
Pointing out that the Centre has accepted the need to augment manpower to meet the Coastal Security charter, he said formation of a Sagar Prahari Bal, comprising 1000 men (61 officers and 939 sailors), to be inducted in three phases for force protection duties for Navy has been approved.
The process of setting up 45 static coastal radar stations should be expeditiously taken up, he said at a national seminar on coastal security -- `Coast WATCH 2010` here last
The seminar was organised by National Maritime Foundation and Department of Defence and Strategic studies, University of Madras in association with Navy Foundation today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Cow slaughter should be banned across the country; Muslims should stop eating meat: Azam Khan
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- 'The Kapil Sharma Show' controversy: Sunil Grover opens up, finds all the 'tamasha' very 'entertaining'