Working on new dates for border talks: China
Beijing: China on Monday said it is in touch with
India to finalise dates for border talks, which were put off
after rejection of its demand for cancellation of a Buddhist
meet to be addressed by the Dalai Lama, even as it opposed
any country giving platform for his "anti-China activities".
Commenting for the first time after the border talks
slated to be held in New Delhi on November 28-29 were put off,
Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Hong Lei told a media
briefing here that the two countries were in the process of
finalising dates and agenda.
"China pays great attention to the 15th meeting of
Special Representatives on the China-India boundary issue. At
the moment the two sides are in communication on specific date
of the meeting," he said.
Asked whether China pressed India to cancel the
international Buddhist conference being held in New Delhi and
which is to be addressed by the exiled Tibetan spiritual
leader, Hong said, "I want to point out that the Dalai Lama is
not a pure religious figure but the one who has been engaged
in the separatist activities for long time under the pretext
"We oppose any country providing platform for his
anti-China activities in any form," he said.
On whether India has said anything on postponement of the
talks and what are China`s expectations, he said, "The two
sides have been in communication on the relevant issues of the
boundary meeting and also are in close communication on the
specific agenda of the meeting."
While the postponement of the meeting to be held between
National Security Adviser Shivshankar Menon and top Chinese
diplomat Dai Bingguo dominated the headlines in India, it has
been totally blanked out by the Chinese official media.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days