World Bank president in Odisha
Kendrapara: World Bank President Robert Zoellick on Wednesday visited coastal Rajnagar block in Odisha`s Kendrapada district today to see for himself implementation of mangrove conservation efforts and activities under the Integrated Coastal Zone Management Project (ICZMP).
"The visit was to witness the manner in which resource rich Odisha is trying to integrate environmental issues into its development strategy," official sources said.
He also saw the impact of rapid sea erosion in the area and the steps being taken to deal with the menace, the sources said.
Zoellick, accompanied by several other top World Bank officials, interacted with representatives of eco-development committees, beneficiaries, impacted families and self help groups at Okilapala Cyclone Relief Centre.
The World Bank group chief visited coastal communities
to see how they were participating in planning for and
conserving their natural resources in a way that did not hurt
Zoellick also visited the Bhitarkanika Wildlife Sanctuary and took a boat ride from the Gupti jetty. He is scheduled to meet Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik in Bhubaneswar later in the day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’