World Bank president in Odisha
Kendrapara: World Bank President Robert Zoellick on Wednesday visited coastal Rajnagar block in Odisha`s Kendrapada district today to see for himself implementation of mangrove conservation efforts and activities under the Integrated Coastal Zone Management Project (ICZMP).
"The visit was to witness the manner in which resource rich Odisha is trying to integrate environmental issues into its development strategy," official sources said.
He also saw the impact of rapid sea erosion in the area and the steps being taken to deal with the menace, the sources said.
Zoellick, accompanied by several other top World Bank officials, interacted with representatives of eco-development committees, beneficiaries, impacted families and self help groups at Okilapala Cyclone Relief Centre.
The World Bank group chief visited coastal communities
to see how they were participating in planning for and
conserving their natural resources in a way that did not hurt
Zoellick also visited the Bhitarkanika Wildlife Sanctuary and took a boat ride from the Gupti jetty. He is scheduled to meet Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik in Bhubaneswar later in the day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leading in 50 seats, BJP in 32; big prestige battle for both parties
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Election Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena ahead in Mumbai and Thane, BJP gains lead in Pune, Nagpur, Solapur; NCP wins 4 seats in Ulhasnagar