World leaders condole deaths of people in Mangalore crash
Islamabad: Leaders across the world on Saturday
expressed grief and sent their condolences to Prime Minister
Manmohan Singh for the death of 159 people in an Air India
plane crash in Mangalore in Karnataka.
"I was deeply shocked to learn of the tragic crash of
an Air India Express aircraft this morning in Karnataka,
resulting in the loss of many precious lives," Pakistan Prime
Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani said in the message to Singh.
Earlier in the morning, the Air India Boeing 737-800
plane on way to Mangalore from Dubai overshot a runway and
crashed at the Mangalore airport in Karnataka, killing 159
people in the first major plane crash in India since 2000.
"On behalf of the government and people of Pakistan
and on my own behalf, I would like to convey our deepest
condolences and sympathies to the bereaved families," Gilani
Russian President Dmitry Medvedev sent his condolences
messages to President Pratibha Patil and Prime Minister Singh
expressing his deep shock at the crash.
"I am shocked at the news about the tragedy: With the
people of India we also are grieved at the multiple loss of
human lives. I request you to convey our sincere sympathies to
the bereaved families and wishes of speedy recovery of the
injured in the air crash," a Kremlin release in Moscow quoted
Medvedev as saying.
In her condolence message to Singh, Bangladesh Premier
Sheikh Hasina conveyed her heartfelt sympathy to the members
of the bereaved families, prayed for the departed souls and
early recovery of the wounded survivors.
"In a message sent to Indian Prime Minister Dr
Manmohan Singh, she expressed her deep shock," Prime Minister
Hasina`s press secretary Abul Kalam Azad told PTI in Dhaka.
"She expressed the hope that India would be able to
overcome the shock soon," he said.
Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa condoled the
loss of lives and said: "Our thoughts and prayers are with
those injured and all the people of India on this difficult
In his message to Singh, Rajapaksa said: "The news of
the grievous loss of life arising out of the aircraft crash in
Mangalore early this morning has deeply saddened me and the
people of my country".
"On behalf of the Government and people of Sri Lanka ,
I offer sincere condolences to the families who lost loved
ones in this accident," he said.
European Parliament President Jerzy Buzek has sent his condolences to India over the tragic plane crash in Mangalore, EuAsiaNews reported.
"I have just been informed about the tragic plane crash in southern India. On behalf of the European Parliament, I send my condolences to the families and loved ones of those who have lost their lives in this plane crash as well as to the Indian authorities and people," Buzek said in a statement here Saturday.
"I have also been informed that, against the odds, there are eight survivors, I`m touched their lives have been saved, it’s like receiving a second chance," added the statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- CBSE (cbse.nic.in ) Class X results 2015: CBSE Class 10th Board results likely to be declared tomorrow on cbseresults.nic.in