World turns more `positive` about India
New Delhi: India is rising but how does the world view us and our growing say in global affairs? In a poll conducted in 27 countries, India rated a 42% “mainly positive” and 29% “mainly negative” view of its influence in 2010-2011.
The BBC World Service Country Rating Poll conducted in association with the University of Maryland had a sample size of 30,000 people from the major urban areas of these countries.
The poll has thrown up some interesting findings on India’s position and image in the global community at a time when we are aiming high.
In number terms, seventeen countries lean positive towards India, four lean negative while the remaining six are divided. India’s biggest supporters are in Italy, the US and the UK where the positive lean is 61%, 56% and 50 % respectively - importantly, the number of those with whom India is losing favour in the US and the UK has also risen, 29% and 35% respectively.
On other hand, the countries with mainly negative view of India’s influence are France, The Philippines, Spain, and expectedly Pakistan.
Those divided are Australia (was positive in 2010) and China.
How does others fare
US: 49% positive; 31% negative
China: 44% positive; 38% negative
UK & Canada: 57% positive; 12% negative
And, the country with the most favourable ratings?
Germany: A whopping 62% lean positive with only 15% viewing its influence as negative.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader