World War II Indian heroism recalled in Egypt
Cairo: The Indian embassy organised a memorial service here to salute the heroism of Indian soldiers who died in a decisive World War II battle that sealed the fate of Hitler`s Afrika Korps.
India`s Ambassador Navdeep Suri and a number of senior diplomats and military officials from friendly countries placed wreaths at the memorial on Saturday, an embassy statement said.
The simple but solemn ceremony was part of the 70th anniversary of the Battle of El Alamein being celebrated at El Alamein, where Indian soldiers displayed courage thousands of miles away from their motherland.
The El Alamein battle was fought in two phases in 1942 -- from July 01 to 27 and from October 23 to November 04 -- in the deserts of North Africa.
The Allied victory led to the retreat of Rommel`s Afrika Corps and to its eventual surrender in May 1943.
Suri said the stellar role of the Indian Army in El Alamein was recognised by Rommel himself.
Suri drew attention to the book, "North African Campaign 1940-1943" by JKW Bingham and Warner Haupt, which says the capture of Ruweisat Ridge in a combined attack of 5 Indian Division and New Zealand Division July 15, 1942 was the turning point in the battle.
Almost 25,000 officers and men of the Indian Army took part in the North Africa campaign, and over 3,000 died in the sands of northern Sahara. The El Alamein battle accounted for 800 deaths.
Suri said a majority of the Indians who died were in their teens.
They included Hindus, Sikhs and Muslims from the Indian subcontinent. The annual memorial service, he said, ensures that their sacrifices are not forgotten.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'