Worshipping Sai Baba a conspiracy to divide Hindus: Shankaracharya
Zee Media Bureau
Mumbai: In a statement that could hurt sentiments of the followers of Sai Baba, Dwarakapeeth Shankaracharya Swami Swaroopanand said that worshipping the saint was a conspiracy to divide Hindus.
Sai Baba should not be worshipped as he was a human being and not a God, said Swaroopanand, adding his temples should not be built.
“It is a conspiracy of some foreign organisations which are making money. They don’t want Hindu community to unite,” news websites quoted him as saying.
Shankaracharya also refused to regard Sai Baba as the epitome of Hindu-Muslim unity, saying if it were the case, the spiritual man would have been revered by Muslims with as much devotion as Hindus.
In Sanatan Dharma, there are said to be 24 avataars (incarnation) of Lord Vishnu, In Kalyug, there is no mention of other avataars than Kalki and Buddha. Hence, Sai Baba can certainly be not an avataar, Shankaracharya opined.
He added that Sai Baba should not be considered a guru and an ideal because he was a non-vegetarian and advocated the practice of circumcision.
Shankaracharya also claimed that a number of temples devoted to Sai Baba are built across the country to deviate attention from Ram Temple movement in Ayodhya.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Kapil Sharma organises ‘wedding’ ceremony for married Harbhajan Singh, Geeta Basra?
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- WATCH: From US-made bomb making tools to Quran; here's all unearthed from ISIS secret tunnels