Would`ve thought of quitting if asked directly by members: Chacko
New Delhi: JPC Chairman PC Chacko, whose removal has been sought by some panel members, says he would have considered resigning if the demand had come to him directly instead of Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar being approached for his ouster.
"If they had come and told me `you resign`, then I would have thought of that. But they did not demand. They met the Speaker seeking my removal. I don`t think there is a rule to remove me," he told a news agency.
Asked whether he would yield now since 15 members of 30- member Committee have demanded his removal, he ruled out any such possibility, saying the Speaker would take a decision on it.
"Why to yield? It is for the Speaker (to decide). It is for the Speaker to remove me," he said.
Fifteen members of Opposition parties met the Speaker on Thursday, saying they had no confidence in Chacko as JPC Chairman as he was "partial" and should be removed.
The parties pushing for Chacko`s removal are BJP, BJD, JD-U, CPI, CPI(M), TMC, DMK and AIADMK.
The hard stance by these parties has increased confrontation in the JPC and the next meeting expected on May 2 or 3 could be stormy over this issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- Insult to Prophet Mohammad: Dispose off case against Hindu Mahasabha leader in 4 weeks, SC tells Allahabad HC
- SHOCKING! Man beaten to death in Delhi for golgappas - Watch
- RSS questions Rahul Gandhi's remark, demands apology
- Delhi HC rejects plea against Raj Thackeray's security cover
- Eleven Turkish police killed in bombing blamed on PKK