Would`ve thought of quitting if asked directly by members: Chacko
New Delhi: JPC Chairman PC Chacko, whose removal has been sought by some panel members, says he would have considered resigning if the demand had come to him directly instead of Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar being approached for his ouster.
"If they had come and told me `you resign`, then I would have thought of that. But they did not demand. They met the Speaker seeking my removal. I don`t think there is a rule to remove me," he told a news agency.
Asked whether he would yield now since 15 members of 30- member Committee have demanded his removal, he ruled out any such possibility, saying the Speaker would take a decision on it.
"Why to yield? It is for the Speaker (to decide). It is for the Speaker to remove me," he said.
Fifteen members of Opposition parties met the Speaker on Thursday, saying they had no confidence in Chacko as JPC Chairman as he was "partial" and should be removed.
The parties pushing for Chacko`s removal are BJP, BJD, JD-U, CPI, CPI(M), TMC, DMK and AIADMK.
The hard stance by these parties has increased confrontation in the JPC and the next meeting expected on May 2 or 3 could be stormy over this issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!