Would`ve thought of quitting if asked directly by members: Chacko
New Delhi: JPC Chairman PC Chacko, whose removal has been sought by some panel members, says he would have considered resigning if the demand had come to him directly instead of Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar being approached for his ouster.
"If they had come and told me `you resign`, then I would have thought of that. But they did not demand. They met the Speaker seeking my removal. I don`t think there is a rule to remove me," he told a news agency.
Asked whether he would yield now since 15 members of 30- member Committee have demanded his removal, he ruled out any such possibility, saying the Speaker would take a decision on it.
"Why to yield? It is for the Speaker (to decide). It is for the Speaker to remove me," he said.
Fifteen members of Opposition parties met the Speaker on Thursday, saying they had no confidence in Chacko as JPC Chairman as he was "partial" and should be removed.
The parties pushing for Chacko`s removal are BJP, BJD, JD-U, CPI, CPI(M), TMC, DMK and AIADMK.
The hard stance by these parties has increased confrontation in the JPC and the next meeting expected on May 2 or 3 could be stormy over this issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?