Writer Taslima Nasreen upset with being given two-month visa to India
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Controversial writer Taslima Nasreen has been refused a one-year visa by the government and instead given permission to stay in India for two months.
She has been living in exile here since 1994.
The 51-year-old writer had applied for a resident permit and the Home Ministry granted her the same type of visa but only for two months beginning August 1.
A verification process of Nasreen`s visa application has also been initiated by the government and the two-month visa has been given pending a decision on the longer-term visa.
"After the verification process is completed, we will take an appropriate decision," a Home Ministry official said.
Upset over India`s decision to grant her 2-month visa, Nasreen, who had to leave Bangladesh in 1994 in the wake of death threat by fundamentalist outfits for her alleged anti-Islamic views, said the decision was "beyond my imagination".
"Indian govt has cancelled my resident permit that I started getting since 2004 (sic). Issued a temp (sic) tourist visa for 2 months. Beyond my imagination," she tweeted.
Indian govt has canceled my resident permit that I started getting since 2004.Issued a temp tourist visa for 2 months.Beyond my imagination
— taslima nasreen (@taslimanasreen) July 31, 2014
Taslima is now a citizen of Sweden. She has been continuously getting Indian visa since 2004.
She had been living in exile since 1994 and has lived in the US, Europe and India in the last two decades. However, on many occasions she had expressed her wish to live in India permanently, especially in Kolkata.
The writer had to leave Kolkata in 2007 following violent street protests by a section of Muslims against her works.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Yogi Adityanath's speech on his first visit to Gorakhpur after becoming UP CM
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?