`Wrong approach adopted in Food Security Bill`
Chennai: Calling for an inclusive economic
growth, former Central Vigilance Commissioner N Vittal on Saturday
said the Centre has adopted a "wrong approach" in preparing
the proposed Food Security Bill.
"There is a great tamasha happening about the proposed Food
Security Bill... if you are giving a fish to a man he will be
happy for that day.. but the real happiness is to teach him
how to get fish everyday.. the Bill talks about giving fish to
him every day..It is a wrong approach..", Vittal said in his
inaugural address at a seminar on "Twenty Years of India`s
He also stressed the need for an "inclusive growth".
Taking a dig at the freebies offered by the Dravidian
parties in Tamil Nadu, he said due to freebies wealth was not
created in the economy affecting the country`s growth.
"The freebie culture has led to a total distortion.. With
freebies how can you create wealth in an economy? For the
growth of economy, wealth has to be created...", he said.
In May 2011, both AIADMK and DMK assured of providing free
laptops and colour television sets and free rice as part of
their poll promise.
However, after assuming office, AIADMK alloted Rs 10,200
crore alone for the free distribution of laptops to school and
college students spread over the next five years.
Claiming that the liberalisation during the 90s addressed
only certain macro-economic crisis, Former Finance Secretary
C Ramachandran said there was need to create wealth in order
to various issues including to eradicate poverty.
Noting that India did not tackle a number of areas which
has to be reformed, he said, "what we need is a regulatory
reform, overhauling of electoral reform, greater concentration
on areas of health, water supply and also in Law and Order".
He said the success of reforms depended upon its speedy
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok