`Wrong to say Centre not taking action on fishermen attacks`
Chennai: Rejecting as wrong the charge that the Congress-led UPA Government was keeping silence despite repeated attacks on Tamil Nadu fishermen allegedly by Sri Lankan Navy, Union Environment Minister Jayanthi Natarajan on Friday said India was taking "strong" action against the island nation.
Appealing that the issue should not be "politicised", she said the government had been taking various steps and even Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had in the past deputed his representative to hold talks with Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapakse.
Replying to a question, she said it was `wrong opinion` that the Centre did not act against Sri Lanka on the issue.
"We are taking strong action on the issue and will continue to do so," she told reporters here on the sidelines of a seminar organised by National Bio-Diversity Authority.
"As a citizen of India and Tamil Nadu and as a UPA Minister I strongly condemn the attacks...It is not a State issue. It is a national issue".
Expressing concern over the arrest of 53 fishermen from the state by Sri Lankan Navy, Chief Minister Jayalalithaa had yesterday written to Singh seeking his intervention to secure their release. She also demanded that the Centre summon Sri Lankan envoy in Delhi and lodge a protest.
Asked whether India would support the US-sponsored resolution against Sri Lanka in the United Nations Human Rights Council in Geneva, she said, "first, let it be tabled. We have strongly condemned the Sri Lanka`s action last year. We have supported the American resolution that was adopted. That shows our intention".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray