X-category security withdrawn from 30 VIPs
New Delhi: After dithering for five years, the home ministry has removed X-category security to 30 individuals, including former Chief Justice of India Y S Sabarwal, triggering concern among protectees who are now making all out efforts to retain their police cover.
Home minister P Chidambaram, who himself has refused to take any security, took the decision as he is of the opinion that security should be provided only to those who either face credible threats or are holding Constitutional posts.
With this, the list of X-Category protectees has come down to 20 after a detailed review by security and intelligence agencies, home ministry officials said.
The X-category protectees are given one personal security officer for eight hours, which means sparing three policemen for an individual.
The drill will now be followed for VIPs enjoying Y, Z and Z-plus category security, they said.
As the news of security withdrawal of X-category protectees spread, the home ministry was flooded with requests of VIPs to continue their police cover.
"VIPs from various backgrounds and mostly politicians are trying all possible connections to prove the genuineness of their security cover before the home minister," a senior official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM