X-category security withdrawn from 30 VIPs
New Delhi: After dithering for five years, the home ministry has removed X-category security to 30 individuals, including former Chief Justice of India Y S Sabarwal, triggering concern among protectees who are now making all out efforts to retain their police cover.
Home minister P Chidambaram, who himself has refused to take any security, took the decision as he is of the opinion that security should be provided only to those who either face credible threats or are holding Constitutional posts.
With this, the list of X-Category protectees has come down to 20 after a detailed review by security and intelligence agencies, home ministry officials said.
The X-category protectees are given one personal security officer for eight hours, which means sparing three policemen for an individual.
The drill will now be followed for VIPs enjoying Y, Z and Z-plus category security, they said.
As the news of security withdrawal of X-category protectees spread, the home ministry was flooded with requests of VIPs to continue their police cover.
"VIPs from various backgrounds and mostly politicians are trying all possible connections to prove the genuineness of their security cover before the home minister," a senior official said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know