Yamuna in full fury, Delhi on edge
New Delhi: Delhi was on edge today with
the water level in Yamuna rising one meter above the danger
mark, threatening to flood the nearby low lying areas even as
Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit appealed to people not to panic.
The water level in the river touched 205.88 meter at 3
pm and is likely to rise further in the evening when water
released from Hathanikund Barrage in Haryana reaches the city,
a Flood Control Department official said.
Yamuna had crossed danger level of 204.83 metres
yesterday, prompting authorities to evacuate hundreds of
people living in the low lying areas. Seventy-four boats and
68 divers have also been pressed into service.
Dikshit, asking people not to panic said though
Haryana has released nearly 9 lakh cusec of water in the last
three days, there may not be much threat to the city as water
has dispersed due to breaking of embankments along the route.
"I was told that at 10 AM today somewhere along the
route embankments have broken and the water has dispersed. We
were expecting around 3.5 lakh cusec water to reach Delhi. Now
it may get reduced," she said.
"With this, the kind of threat we were anticipating
may not be there," she said.
Flood Control Minister Raj Kumar Chouhan said over 100
booster pumps were fitted along the banks of the river to pump
out water which may enter the low-lying areas.
"We are constantly monitoring the situation and ready
for any eventualities," he said.
"Haryana released nearly one lakh cusec of water
today," an official said.
Last month too, the water level in the Yamuna rose
above the danger level, prompting authorities to shift a large
number of people to relief camps.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried at Chandanwadi's Bada Kabristan in Mumbai
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened