Yamuna in full fury, Delhi on edge
New Delhi: Delhi was on edge today with
the water level in Yamuna rising one meter above the danger
mark, threatening to flood the nearby low lying areas even as
Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit appealed to people not to panic.
The water level in the river touched 205.88 meter at 3
pm and is likely to rise further in the evening when water
released from Hathanikund Barrage in Haryana reaches the city,
a Flood Control Department official said.
Yamuna had crossed danger level of 204.83 metres
yesterday, prompting authorities to evacuate hundreds of
people living in the low lying areas. Seventy-four boats and
68 divers have also been pressed into service.
Dikshit, asking people not to panic said though
Haryana has released nearly 9 lakh cusec of water in the last
three days, there may not be much threat to the city as water
has dispersed due to breaking of embankments along the route.
"I was told that at 10 AM today somewhere along the
route embankments have broken and the water has dispersed. We
were expecting around 3.5 lakh cusec water to reach Delhi. Now
it may get reduced," she said.
"With this, the kind of threat we were anticipating
may not be there," she said.
Flood Control Minister Raj Kumar Chouhan said over 100
booster pumps were fitted along the banks of the river to pump
out water which may enter the low-lying areas.
"We are constantly monitoring the situation and ready
for any eventualities," he said.
"Haryana released nearly one lakh cusec of water
today," an official said.
Last month too, the water level in the Yamuna rose
above the danger level, prompting authorities to shift a large
number of people to relief camps.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation