Yamuna, only filth and waste: Jairam
New Delhi: There is "no water" in the river
Yamuna and all we see is waste dumped by the industrial units
of Haryana and Delhi, feels Environment Minister Jairam
Ramesh, who on Monday voiced concern over the pollution in Indian
"You will not find any water in Yamuna. All filth and
waste material from Haryana and Delhi is dumped into the river
which we call `Yamuna`," Ramesh said at a function on the
occasion of the World Forestry Day here.
He said, "We must finish de-greening before we start
The de-greening has been created by industrial
construction, the minister said, adding that the pressure of
population and works done in the name of development had
damaged forests and rivers in the country.
"This is the biggest challenge we face today. We have
to achieve economic growth along with conserving forests and
keeping our rivers clean," he said.
Recalling celebration of the Van Mahotsav, the minister
said, "We celebrate World Forestry Day since 1971 but in our
country, Van Mahotsav was celebrated much before that in the
month of July since 1950 which was started by then Home
Minister Late Kulpati K M Munshi."
"Our Culture and traditions teach us to preserve our
forests and natural resources. The government will succeed in
this movement only with cooperation from people," he asserted.
"Women are leading the movement of `Save the Forests`
and with partnership we will be able to achieve our goal.
Awareness about protecting environment is tremendous today and
schools, colleges, and NGOs must work together to conserve our
environment," he said.
P J Dileep Kumar, Director General of Forests, said that
forests and natural resources are important to maintain our
environment, saying "Our life depends on greenery around us."
A calendar of events for International Year of Forests,
2011 was released. Prizes were also distributed to the winners
of a painting competitions organised earlier. Students from
about 30 schools participated in the competition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees