Yamuna water level rises again in Delhi
New Delhi: The Yamuna river started to swell again Saturday as more water was released into the river from Haryana. Officials have warned of a further rise in the river`s water level in the city during the day.
"The water level in the Yamuna has risen to 205.94 metres -- 1.14 metres above the danger mark -- Saturday morning," an official at the Delhi flood control room said.
About 38,430 cusecs of water is released from Haryana, he said.
"The water level is likely to rise further during the day and after breaching 206 metres mark, it is expected to stay constant. There is nothing to panic about as all arrangements are in place to handle the situation," the official said.
The rise in water level led to flooding in low-lying areas of Usmanpur, Shastri Park, Geeta Colony, Bhajanpura and Yamuna Colony.
Yamuna has been flowing above the danger level of 204.8 metres since August 20. The water level receded to 205.77 metres Thursday after touching 205.95 metres Tuesday.
Nearly 1,500 people living in low-lying areas were Sunday evacuated and shifted to relief camps.
Ten temporary shelter camps have been set up in Usmanpur, Garhimandu, Badarpur Khadar, ISBT bridge, Shakarpur, Akshardham temple, old Yamuna bridge, Geeta Colony and Okhla to provide relief to the affected people.
A control room has been set up to monitor the situation round-the-clock.
"The Delhi government is fully geared up to meet any situation of flood due to increase in water level in Yamuna. About 150 technical staff members are monitoring the level of the river," the official said.
Besides, 63 boats along with over 50 divers and a team of the disaster management force have been deployed near the banks of the river, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Panel discussion over why opposition stopped PM Modi from speaking?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- This happens only in Pakistan? You won't believe what this boy did in front of his lady teacher - WATCH
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Unseen Video: On Yuvraj Singh, Hazel Keech's wedding reception, MS Dhoni greets couple with a hug