Yashwant Sinha demands Nitin Gadkari’s exit as BJP chief
New Delhi: Spelling more trouble for BJP’s embattled president Nitin Gadkari, senior party leader Yashwant Sinha on Tuesday demanded his resignation, saying those in public life should be beyond reproach.
"Whether our party president is guilty or not is not the issue today. The issue is that all of us in public life should be beyond reproach...I call upon Shri Nitin Gadkari, with all the humility at my command, to immediately step down from the post of party president," he said.
Interestingly, Sinha made the demand after being with Gadkari at a 90-minute meeting of the Parliamentary Party`s Executive Committee at the residence of L K Advani in the morning.
Sinha`s demand brings alive once again the campaign initiated by BJP Rajya Sabha MP Ram Jethmalani and his son Mahesh for the party chief`s resignation in the wake of reports of alleged dubious financing of Purti Sugar and Power Group.
The campaign against Gadkari had appeared to take a backseat after the party backed him in the wake of a clean chit given by RSS ideologue and chartered accountant S Gurumurthy, who had gone into the balance sheet and accounts of the Purti group.
But its revival may have come at an inappropriate time when the party plans to corner the government on various issues, including alleged scams, in the winter session of Parliament beginning Thursday.
Just two weeks back, BJP’s Rajya Sabha MP and noted lawyer Ram Jethmalani and Jagdish Shettar made similar demands, saying Gadkari should voluntarily quit as the BJP chief and wait till his name is cleared of corruption charges levelled against him.
Yashwant Sinha is the third senior-most leader to have asked for Gadkari’s exit, thus building pressure on the BJP central leadership and its parent organisation -the RSS - to take a call on him.
Gadkari landed in troubled waters after he was accused of improper business dealings and serious allegations of financial impropriety were levelled against his firm Purity Power and Sugar Pvt Limited.
However, he has categorically denied all charges against him, saying he has done nothing wrong.
Meanwhile, reacting to the controversial statement made by Yashwant Sinha, BJP spokesperson Ravi Shankar Prasad said that Sinha`s opinion was own.
"The party would appeal to him to reconsider his stand," Ravi Shankar Prasad further said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi