Yashwant Sinha demands Nitin Gadkari’s exit as BJP chief
New Delhi: Spelling more trouble for BJP’s embattled president Nitin Gadkari, senior party leader Yashwant Sinha on Tuesday demanded his resignation, saying those in public life should be beyond reproach.
"Whether our party president is guilty or not is not the issue today. The issue is that all of us in public life should be beyond reproach...I call upon Shri Nitin Gadkari, with all the humility at my command, to immediately step down from the post of party president," he said.
Interestingly, Sinha made the demand after being with Gadkari at a 90-minute meeting of the Parliamentary Party`s Executive Committee at the residence of L K Advani in the morning.
Sinha`s demand brings alive once again the campaign initiated by BJP Rajya Sabha MP Ram Jethmalani and his son Mahesh for the party chief`s resignation in the wake of reports of alleged dubious financing of Purti Sugar and Power Group.
The campaign against Gadkari had appeared to take a backseat after the party backed him in the wake of a clean chit given by RSS ideologue and chartered accountant S Gurumurthy, who had gone into the balance sheet and accounts of the Purti group.
But its revival may have come at an inappropriate time when the party plans to corner the government on various issues, including alleged scams, in the winter session of Parliament beginning Thursday.
Just two weeks back, BJP’s Rajya Sabha MP and noted lawyer Ram Jethmalani and Jagdish Shettar made similar demands, saying Gadkari should voluntarily quit as the BJP chief and wait till his name is cleared of corruption charges levelled against him.
Yashwant Sinha is the third senior-most leader to have asked for Gadkari’s exit, thus building pressure on the BJP central leadership and its parent organisation -the RSS - to take a call on him.
Gadkari landed in troubled waters after he was accused of improper business dealings and serious allegations of financial impropriety were levelled against his firm Purity Power and Sugar Pvt Limited.
However, he has categorically denied all charges against him, saying he has done nothing wrong.
Meanwhile, reacting to the controversial statement made by Yashwant Sinha, BJP spokesperson Ravi Shankar Prasad said that Sinha`s opinion was own.
"The party would appeal to him to reconsider his stand," Ravi Shankar Prasad further said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’