Yashwant Sinha demands Nitin Gadkari’s exit as BJP chief
New Delhi: Spelling more trouble for BJP’s embattled president Nitin Gadkari, senior party leader Yashwant Sinha on Tuesday demanded his resignation, saying those in public life should be beyond reproach.
"Whether our party president is guilty or not is not the issue today. The issue is that all of us in public life should be beyond reproach...I call upon Shri Nitin Gadkari, with all the humility at my command, to immediately step down from the post of party president," he said.
Interestingly, Sinha made the demand after being with Gadkari at a 90-minute meeting of the Parliamentary Party`s Executive Committee at the residence of L K Advani in the morning.
Sinha`s demand brings alive once again the campaign initiated by BJP Rajya Sabha MP Ram Jethmalani and his son Mahesh for the party chief`s resignation in the wake of reports of alleged dubious financing of Purti Sugar and Power Group.
The campaign against Gadkari had appeared to take a backseat after the party backed him in the wake of a clean chit given by RSS ideologue and chartered accountant S Gurumurthy, who had gone into the balance sheet and accounts of the Purti group.
But its revival may have come at an inappropriate time when the party plans to corner the government on various issues, including alleged scams, in the winter session of Parliament beginning Thursday.
Just two weeks back, BJP’s Rajya Sabha MP and noted lawyer Ram Jethmalani and Jagdish Shettar made similar demands, saying Gadkari should voluntarily quit as the BJP chief and wait till his name is cleared of corruption charges levelled against him.
Yashwant Sinha is the third senior-most leader to have asked for Gadkari’s exit, thus building pressure on the BJP central leadership and its parent organisation -the RSS - to take a call on him.
Gadkari landed in troubled waters after he was accused of improper business dealings and serious allegations of financial impropriety were levelled against his firm Purity Power and Sugar Pvt Limited.
However, he has categorically denied all charges against him, saying he has done nothing wrong.
Meanwhile, reacting to the controversial statement made by Yashwant Sinha, BJP spokesperson Ravi Shankar Prasad said that Sinha`s opinion was own.
"The party would appeal to him to reconsider his stand," Ravi Shankar Prasad further said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400