Yashwant Sinha should not have commented on 2G: Congress
New Delhi: The Congress on Tuesday said BJP leader Yashwant Sinha should not have commented on the 2G scam as he was a member of the Joint Parliamentary Committee (JPC) probing it.
"There is a Joint Parliamentary Committee (on the 2G scam) in progress at this point. Since I was a member of this committee, I do not want to comment on its proceedings. Sinha is a member of the same committee. Whatever they (the BJP) want to articulate, it would be much more appropriate if they do so within the confines of that committee," Information and Broadcasting Minister Manish Tewari told a news channel.
Tewari added that the committee was in the process of writing its report. "It is clearly a question of the cart before the horse," he said.
On the BJP`s demands for calling the prime minister to depose before the JPC, he said: "This demand was raised in the committee and was rejected there itself."
On demands for the prime minister`s resignation over the issue, he said: "It is the job of the opposition to swing from the sublime to the ridiculous at times."
"The opposition at time makes demands which are absolutely outlandish," he said.
Sinha has said that the JPC looking into 2G spectrum allocation was functioning in a "scandalous" manner.
He wrote to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Monday urging that former telecom minister A. Raja be allowed to depose before the panel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- China to feel Brexit effects, yuan to weaken against dollar: JP Morgan
- As Central India faces drought, violence and murders on the rise over water
- Baby boom! Teejay Sidhu and Karanvir Bohra to become parents for the first time
- Tripura Governor gets additional charge of Arunachal Pradesh
- Bucket list: You must try these things at least once before turning 25!