Yashwant Sinha should not have commented on 2G: Congress
New Delhi: The Congress on Tuesday said BJP leader Yashwant Sinha should not have commented on the 2G scam as he was a member of the Joint Parliamentary Committee (JPC) probing it.
"There is a Joint Parliamentary Committee (on the 2G scam) in progress at this point. Since I was a member of this committee, I do not want to comment on its proceedings. Sinha is a member of the same committee. Whatever they (the BJP) want to articulate, it would be much more appropriate if they do so within the confines of that committee," Information and Broadcasting Minister Manish Tewari told a news channel.
Tewari added that the committee was in the process of writing its report. "It is clearly a question of the cart before the horse," he said.
On the BJP`s demands for calling the prime minister to depose before the JPC, he said: "This demand was raised in the committee and was rejected there itself."
On demands for the prime minister`s resignation over the issue, he said: "It is the job of the opposition to swing from the sublime to the ridiculous at times."
"The opposition at time makes demands which are absolutely outlandish," he said.
Sinha has said that the JPC looking into 2G spectrum allocation was functioning in a "scandalous" manner.
He wrote to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Monday urging that former telecom minister A. Raja be allowed to depose before the panel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof