Yashwant Sinha skips BJP parliamentary board meet
New Delhi: Senior BJP leader Yashwant Sinha, who has expressed his anger over the appointment of BJP`s new Jharkhand chief, on Tuesday morning skipped the party’s parliamentary board meet.
An upset Sinha has already threatened to quit the party and made his intentions clear before the party`s top brass.
Sources said Sinha during a meeting of top party leaders including L K Advani and Sushma Swaraj last morning vented his anger over the appointment of Ravindra Rai as the party`s Jharkhand unit chief, saying "there is a great deal of resentment within the party over Rai`s investment".
After Sinha`s outburst yesterday, BJP president Rajnath Singh had sought to placate him and called him up.
Rai, who belongs to the camp of former Jharkhand Chief Minister Arjun Munda, was appointed as the state`s new party chief on Sunday by Rajnath Singh.
Sinha had suggested the name of Raghubar Das, a former state party chief, but the party leadership ignored his recommendation which angered Sinha.
The appointment of Rai, who replaced Dineshanand Goswami, came within a day of former chief minister Arjun Munda resigning from the post of state legislative party leader.
Sources said the party was hopeful of assuaging Sinha and sorting out differences within the party in Jharkhand which may go to polls within the next six months. Jharkhand is currently under President`s Rule.
Sources said that Sinha was upset with the party succumbing to pressure from Arjun Munda, who is considered close to Rajnath Singh, in appointing a candidate of his choice.
Sinha, after expressing his unhappiness over Rai`s appointment, has sought his replacement with a candidate acceptable to all in the party.
The former finance minister reportedly told the top party leadership today that Rai had earlier quit the party and it was not right to hand over the party reins to him as this has led to a "great deal of resentment in the party cadres" in Jharkhand.
Sinha also told Advani and Sushma that Rai had joined Babulal Marandi and remained with him for a few years till he rejoined the party.
Rai was given a party ticket in the last Assembly polls but lost badly while forfeiting even his security deposit, leaders opposed to his appointment said, warning that his annointment as party chief may affect the party`s chances at the hustings.
About two years ago, Advani had proposed Sinha`s name for the post of Jharkhand chief minister but was overruled by the then president Nitin Gadkari in favour of Munda.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Virat Kohli vs Sachin Tendulkar: Who is a better cricketer? Read what Virender Sehwag has to say