Yashwant Sinha`s open demand for Gadkari`s resignation inappropriate: BJP
New Delhi: Reacting to the controversial statement by senior party leader Yashwant Sinha on Tuesday demanding the resignation of president Nitin Gadkari, BJP spokesperson Ravi Shankar Prasad said that Sinha`s
opinion was own.
However, he added that the statement given by Yashwant Sinha to the press was `inappropriate`.
Briefing the press Ravishankar Prasad said, “Yashwant Sinha is a senior BJP leader and party has given him forum to express his views. This is highly unacceptable that inspite of the forum Yaswant Sinha gave a public statement against party president Nitin Gadkari.”
"The party would appeal to him to reconsider his stand," Ravi Shankar Prasad further said
Earlier today, Yashwant Sinha had demanded Gadkari’s resignation, saying those in public life should be beyond reproach.
Speaking to a TV news channel, Sinha said, “Whether Gadkari is guilty or not is not the issue. But those in public life should be beyond reproach.”
“I do not care if Gadkari is clean or guilty. But he should quit,” he was quoted as saying.
The internal tussle in the BJP over continuation of Nitin Gadkari as party president has resurfaced again.
Though the party sought to contain the damage by asking Sinha to reconsider his remarks, the fresh row is likely to provide ammunition to the Congress to shift focus on the BJP on the issue of corruption during the session beginning Nov 22.
Sinha`s remarks came after determined efforts by the BJP to end internal tensions and scotch speculations about Gadkari not getting a clean chit from the party over financial dealings of the Purti group he is linked to.
Financial analyst S. Gurumurthy, who had briefed the BJP core group Nov 6 about his probe into the financial dealings of Purti, had last week reiterated that there was no moral or legal wrongdoing by Gadkari.
Gurumurthy, a chartered accountant considered close to the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS), wrote a letter to Gadkari that he wished to formally place on record his views -- earlier expressed at the party`s core committee meeting here Nov 6 -- which had led the party giving a virtual clean chit to its chief.
Gurumurthy wrote that he found no wrongdoing by Gadkari in documents related to Purti and accused the media of giving a political colour to the issue following some of his tweets.
The rift in the Sangh Parivar over allegations against Gadkari has been resurfacing over th past month.
Party MP Ram Jethmalani had demanded that Gadkari should resign and not seek a second term as party president.
His son Mahesh Jethmalani had resigned from the party`s national executive on the issue.
Party leader Uma Bharti had sought to snub Ram Jethmalani over his remarks but Jagadish Shettigar, a member of party`s national executive, also suggested that Gadkari should resign.
RSS ideologue MG Vaidya had indicated that Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi was behind Gadkari`s troubles, but both the BJP and RSS denied any linkage.
Gadkari had taken over as BJP president in Dec 2009.
He is facing probe over financial dealings of investor companies in Purti group.
With IANS inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India