Yashwant Sinha`s open demand for Gadkari`s resignation inappropriate: BJP
New Delhi: Reacting to the controversial statement by senior party leader Yashwant Sinha on Tuesday demanding the resignation of president Nitin Gadkari, BJP spokesperson Ravi Shankar Prasad said that Sinha`s
opinion was own.
However, he added that the statement given by Yashwant Sinha to the press was `inappropriate`.
Briefing the press Ravishankar Prasad said, “Yashwant Sinha is a senior BJP leader and party has given him forum to express his views. This is highly unacceptable that inspite of the forum Yaswant Sinha gave a public statement against party president Nitin Gadkari.”
"The party would appeal to him to reconsider his stand," Ravi Shankar Prasad further said
Earlier today, Yashwant Sinha had demanded Gadkari’s resignation, saying those in public life should be beyond reproach.
Speaking to a TV news channel, Sinha said, “Whether Gadkari is guilty or not is not the issue. But those in public life should be beyond reproach.”
“I do not care if Gadkari is clean or guilty. But he should quit,” he was quoted as saying.
The internal tussle in the BJP over continuation of Nitin Gadkari as party president has resurfaced again.
Though the party sought to contain the damage by asking Sinha to reconsider his remarks, the fresh row is likely to provide ammunition to the Congress to shift focus on the BJP on the issue of corruption during the session beginning Nov 22.
Sinha`s remarks came after determined efforts by the BJP to end internal tensions and scotch speculations about Gadkari not getting a clean chit from the party over financial dealings of the Purti group he is linked to.
Financial analyst S. Gurumurthy, who had briefed the BJP core group Nov 6 about his probe into the financial dealings of Purti, had last week reiterated that there was no moral or legal wrongdoing by Gadkari.
Gurumurthy, a chartered accountant considered close to the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS), wrote a letter to Gadkari that he wished to formally place on record his views -- earlier expressed at the party`s core committee meeting here Nov 6 -- which had led the party giving a virtual clean chit to its chief.
Gurumurthy wrote that he found no wrongdoing by Gadkari in documents related to Purti and accused the media of giving a political colour to the issue following some of his tweets.
The rift in the Sangh Parivar over allegations against Gadkari has been resurfacing over th past month.
Party MP Ram Jethmalani had demanded that Gadkari should resign and not seek a second term as party president.
His son Mahesh Jethmalani had resigned from the party`s national executive on the issue.
Party leader Uma Bharti had sought to snub Ram Jethmalani over his remarks but Jagadish Shettigar, a member of party`s national executive, also suggested that Gadkari should resign.
RSS ideologue MG Vaidya had indicated that Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi was behind Gadkari`s troubles, but both the BJP and RSS denied any linkage.
Gadkari had taken over as BJP president in Dec 2009.
He is facing probe over financial dealings of investor companies in Purti group.
With IANS inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Check Jharkhand JAC 12th Intermediate Arts Results 2015 on jac.nic.in
- Check rajresults.nic.in: Rajasthan Board Class 12th results 2015 to be declared today