Yasin Bhatkal statement: SP sacks Kamaal Farooqui as party secretary
Zee Media Bureau
Lucknow: Kamaal Farooqui was on Thursday sacked from the post of Samajwadi Party`s national secretary following his comments on arrested Indian Mujahideen founder Yasin Bhatkal`s arrest.
Commenting on Bhatkal’s arrest, Farooqui had last month said: “Is this arrest based on crime or religion?" "If he is a terrorist, then he should not be spared but if he has been arrested just because he is a Muslim, then caution should be exercised as we don`t want to send a wrong message to the entire community."
The SP government had distanced itself from the remarks saying they reflected Farooqui’s personal views.
The BJP had criticised the SP for giving a religious hue to the issue of terrorism.
Bhatkal, wanted by police in 12 states for bombings and other terror activities in the last five years, was arrested from the India-Nepal border last month. He was arrested along with Asadullah Akhtar, his terror accomplice.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes