Yatra for India, not for me or elections: Advani
New Delhi: Before embarking on the second phase of his 38-day journey, BJP leader LK Advani on Thursday rejected criticism that through the yatra, he was seeking to repackage himself.
"Frankly, I do not quite understand why I would like to repackage myself. Also, I would wish to stress with all the emphasis at my command that this yatra has nothing to do with LK Advani. Nor even with the BJP or the next elections. It
is concerned essentially with India," he said.
Writing in his latest blog, while on a two-day Diwali break from the "anti-corruption" yatra, he said his campaign was aimed at reinfusing among people the confidence they had lost in India`s glory due to the "failings" of the UPA
"My yatra is to reinfuse confidence in the people that the failings of the UPA should not be allowed to demoralise the country, and that we the people should concentrate on making the twenty-first century India’s century in spite of
all the failures of the UPA," Advani said.
Blaming the Congress-led coalition for the recent scandals, he said that in the last couple of decades, India had earned a reputation as a remarkable democracy and a country on its way to becoming a major economic power in the
Again hammering India`s cause, which, he said, had been damaged due to UPA`s corruption, he said, "The sense of confidence and self-esteem that had been building up in the people has been seriously undermined because of the happenings
of this last year--numerous scams surfacing, several central ministers being removed and even jailed because of corruption, and the cash-for-votes scandal in which instead of the bribe-givers, it was the whistle-blowers, who had exposed the
scandal, who have been put behind bars."
Harping on the cause of "Mother India", Advani said that the ongoing yatra received greater support than even the Rama Rath Yatra from Somnath to Ayodhya.
He said he placed people`s sense of "rashtra bakti"
(patriotism) above even the BJP`s pet poll plank of "Ram
"This yatra is my sixth one. Two of my six yatras that
evoked a greater response than even the Ram Rath yatra were
the Swarna Jayanti Yatra of 1997 and this Jana Chetana Yatra
"This last one has really set an all-time record not only
in respect of the rallies formally organised during the yatra,
but even in respect of the numbers who lined up all along the
route of the Rath," Advani wrote, seeking to play to people`s
sense of Indianness rather than their political affiliations.
Making a reference to Swami Vivekenanda, Advani sought to
lend an apolitical colour to his yatra by saying that
Mother India was greater than all the Gods.
"I have said it in some of my speeches that if Rama
Bhakti has an appeal for the average Indian, Rashtra Bhakti
(patriotism) has no less an appeal....
"I have often been recounting a speech delivered by Swami
Vivekananda in 1897 at Madras after his return from a visit to
Europe in the course of which he observed: For the next fifty
years, this alone shall be our keynote this, our great
Mother India. Let all other vain Gods disappear for the time
from our minds."
The BJP leader qualified the reference to Vivekananda by
observing, "the exhortation of the great saint was made in
"Next fifty years, he had said. What a prescient remark;
Independence came precisely in 1947, exactly fifty years
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt