Years after ordeal, Imrana seeks action against rapists
Muzaffarnagar: As the country raised a toast
to women empowerment, Imrana, who hit headlines when she dared
to come out against a panchayat diktat after being raped by
her father-in-law, on Monday said strict laws were needed to check
sexual exploitation of women within the confines of the house.
A mother of five, Imrana said her story reflected the
plight of women as cases of sexual harassment of women by
their relatives were rising and stringent laws were needed to
"Strict action should be taken with the help of women
organisations against the accused to prevent the incidents of
sexual harassment of women," she told reporters at Kookra
village near here today on the occasion of Women`s Day.
The Imrana rape case had sparked a nationwide furore
when a community panchayat ruled that she will have to leave
her husband and treat him as her son soon after she was raped
on June 6, 2005.
On October 19, 2006, a Sessions Court convicted Ali
Mohammad, Imrana`s father-in-law, and sentenced him to 10-year
However, Imrana, who is now living with her husband
Nur Ilahi, said she is yet to receive a compensation of
Rs 8000 as directed by the court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof