Years after ordeal, Imrana seeks action against rapists
Muzaffarnagar: As the country raised a toast
to women empowerment, Imrana, who hit headlines when she dared
to come out against a panchayat diktat after being raped by
her father-in-law, on Monday said strict laws were needed to check
sexual exploitation of women within the confines of the house.
A mother of five, Imrana said her story reflected the
plight of women as cases of sexual harassment of women by
their relatives were rising and stringent laws were needed to
"Strict action should be taken with the help of women
organisations against the accused to prevent the incidents of
sexual harassment of women," she told reporters at Kookra
village near here today on the occasion of Women`s Day.
The Imrana rape case had sparked a nationwide furore
when a community panchayat ruled that she will have to leave
her husband and treat him as her son soon after she was raped
on June 6, 2005.
On October 19, 2006, a Sessions Court convicted Ali
Mohammad, Imrana`s father-in-law, and sentenced him to 10-year
However, Imrana, who is now living with her husband
Nur Ilahi, said she is yet to receive a compensation of
Rs 8000 as directed by the court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP's tally rises to 82 after Atul Shah wins in lottery, Shiv Sena bags 84; CM Fadnavis hails PM Modi's clean governance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in Mumbai but BJP the big winner
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Shiv Sena set for clear majority, leading in 51 seats, BJP in 17