Yechury makes light of Gujral`s claims
New Delhi: "Want to write your memoir,
don`t wait till 90."
This was the terse reaction of CPI(M) leader Sitaram
Yechury on 91-year-old former Prime Minister I K Gujral`s book
in which he claimed that the Left parties had ditched Congress
pesident Sonia Gandhi and forced her to call off plans to
form a government in 1999.
Maintaining that he was present in the series of
meetings during that period, Yechury said it was leaders like
Mulayam Singh Yadav and Sharad Yadav who had objected to
Congress forming government in the United Front days.
"You will also remember that Congress leaders like
Sharad Pawar had opposed the idea and that was when the
process of forming the NCP started," Yechury said.
"In that fluid situation, there were many people who
were themselves waiting to become Prime Minister," he said.
The Left leader quipped, "My suggestion to young
politicians will be that if you want to write your memoir,
then do it early. Don`t wait till 90".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal