Yechury makes light of Gujral`s claims
New Delhi: "Want to write your memoir,
don`t wait till 90."
This was the terse reaction of CPI(M) leader Sitaram
Yechury on 91-year-old former Prime Minister I K Gujral`s book
in which he claimed that the Left parties had ditched Congress
pesident Sonia Gandhi and forced her to call off plans to
form a government in 1999.
Maintaining that he was present in the series of
meetings during that period, Yechury said it was leaders like
Mulayam Singh Yadav and Sharad Yadav who had objected to
Congress forming government in the United Front days.
"You will also remember that Congress leaders like
Sharad Pawar had opposed the idea and that was when the
process of forming the NCP started," Yechury said.
"In that fluid situation, there were many people who
were themselves waiting to become Prime Minister," he said.
The Left leader quipped, "My suggestion to young
politicians will be that if you want to write your memoir,
then do it early. Don`t wait till 90".
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India