Yeddyurappa to continue as Karnataka CM: BJP
New Delhi: Beleaguered Karnataka Chief Minister BS Yeddyurappa, facing allegations of corruption and
nepotism, yet again staved off a mounting challenge to his
leadership as BJP on Wednesday announced that he will continue in
"After consultations with senior party leaders and
state leaders, the party has decided to continue with BS
Yeddyurappa as Chief Minister of Karnataka," BJP chief Nitin
Gadkari said in a statement that set at rest political
uncertainty in the ruling party in the state.
Reading out the statement, party spokesperson Prakash
Javedekar quoted Gadkari as saying that while the Commission
of Inquiry appointed by the Karnataka government would go into
the allegations of land allotment against him, the party was
also requested by the Chief Minister to go into these or any
"I shall take adequate assistance to look into the
same," Gadkari said.
With Gadkari`s statement, the 67-year-old leader, the
first BJP Chief Minister in South, has successfully defied the
party leadership which had veered round to his removal in the
wake of mounting allegations of land allotment to his family
members and receipt of money from mining lobby and managed to
have his way.
In his remarks after the formal announcement by the BJP, Yeddyurappa told reporters that he was asked to stay on as CM by the party leadership.
The party leadership is aware of baseless allegations against me, he added.
While reports emerged that the party was wanting him
to make way for a successor, the Chief Minister had put up a
defiance saying he would not resign. But yesterday, he changed
his tone saying he will abide by the party leadership which
was interpreted as a sign that he reached an understanding
with the High Command that he may continue in office.
The decision on his continuance comes amidst
indications that the dominant Lingayat community to which it
belongs may not take his removal lightly and also in view of
the upcoming local body elections in the state when
destablisation of the leadership may not be considered good.
The party chief said with panchayat and zilla parishad
elections in Karnataka round the corner, leaders and workers
should work as one to ensure the success of the party.
Gadkari said the allegations against Yeddyurappa had
created an "environment of uncertainty" in the state for the
past few days. The Chief Minister has denied all these
allegations and also offered his response, both in public and
to the party leaders, he said.
Javedekar said there can be no comparison between the
allegations of land scam in Karnataka with 2G spectrum scam
and CWG scams. "It is not a matter of perception or
allegations. It is a fact of willingness for enquiry which
Congress is refusing," he said.
"In Karnataka, an inquiry has already been ordered but
in the cases of 2G spectrum and other scams, the Congress
started acting only after Supreme Court intervention," he said.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’