Yerawada prison has seen them all, from Jinda-Sukha to Kasab
Pune: The sprawling Yerawada Central prison here where 26/11 terrorist Ajmal Kasab was hanged Wednesday, has been a witness to many important events since its establishment by the British in 1851 on a huge 500 acre plot of land.
One of the nine central jails in Maharashtra, Yerawada, situated on the north-eastern outskirts of the city, became well known because the British rulers had chosen it to imprison Mahatma Gandhi in 1932 during the freedom struggle.
The dreaded duo of Jinda and Sukha, convicted of murder of former Army Chief late Gen Arun Kumar Vaidya, who spearheaded the operation Blue Star, too were sent to gallows in Yerawada prison in 1992.
According to sources, the last execution in the jail was carried out in 1995, that of a murder convict.
The capacity of the jail, which houses hardcore criminals, was put at 1,800 inmates during the British rule and was later increased to around 3,000.
Recently, the jail was in the limelight when suspected Indian Mujaheedin operative Qateel Siddiqui was killed inside the jail by fellow inmates which allegedly led to the plotting of the August 1 serial bomb explosions in the city. The incident led to a big uproar, resulting in transfer of the jail superintendent.
The `Operation X` this morning, was, however carried out with utmost secrecy which caught the city by surprise.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...