Yoga guru Baba Ramdev detained for six hours at Heathrow
London: Yoga guru Baba Ramdev was on Saturday detained and questioned at Heathrow Airport here for over six hours by British customs officials.
There was lack of clarity over the reason for his detention at the airport.
According to one of the organisers of the function Ramdev is here to attend, he was questioned on books he was carrying which were in Hindi and Sanskrit. The officials detained Ramdev for over six hours before he was allowed to go.
However, a source said, Ramdev was questioned by customs officials as he came here on a visitor visa instead of a business visa.
Some media reports also said that Ramdev was questioned about certain medicines he was carrying with him.
Ramdev`s spokesman S K Tejarawala described as "baseless" that he was questioned on carrying some medicines.
"It was not clear why the Yoga guru was detained for over six hours at Heathrow. He was not carrying anything with him except a small bag of personal effects. It is for the British authorities to explain why he was detained," Tejarawala said.
He said Ramdev has been cleared to go into the city.
Ramdev went to London to attend the function organised by the Patanjali Yogpeeth on the 120th anniversary of Swami Vivekananda in the next couple of days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi