Yoga guru Baba Ramdev detained for six hours at Heathrow
London: Yoga guru Baba Ramdev was on Saturday detained and questioned at Heathrow Airport here for over six hours by British customs officials.
There was lack of clarity over the reason for his detention at the airport.
According to one of the organisers of the function Ramdev is here to attend, he was questioned on books he was carrying which were in Hindi and Sanskrit. The officials detained Ramdev for over six hours before he was allowed to go.
However, a source said, Ramdev was questioned by customs officials as he came here on a visitor visa instead of a business visa.
Some media reports also said that Ramdev was questioned about certain medicines he was carrying with him.
Ramdev`s spokesman S K Tejarawala described as "baseless" that he was questioned on carrying some medicines.
"It was not clear why the Yoga guru was detained for over six hours at Heathrow. He was not carrying anything with him except a small bag of personal effects. It is for the British authorities to explain why he was detained," Tejarawala said.
He said Ramdev has been cleared to go into the city.
Ramdev went to London to attend the function organised by the Patanjali Yogpeeth on the 120th anniversary of Swami Vivekananda in the next couple of days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bandits kill 31 bush taxi passengers in Madagascar
- North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un hails successful test of new missile, says it can strike US Pacific bases
- LIC chairman S K Roy resigns two years before his term ends
- UEFA Euro 2016: Cristiano Ronaldo rescues Portugal; Belgium seal last-16 berth in Zlatan Ibrahimovic's farewell
- Hello hotness! Deepika Padukone looks kickass in an all blue satin grace!