You are in queue, Airtel tells RAW on phone tapping
New Delhi: A barrage of requests by security agencies to a leading telecom company for telephone tapping led it to say a polite no even to the country`s premier external intelligence agency RAW.
The request by Research and Analysis Wing (RAW) to Bharti Airtel for lawful interception of some telephone numbers came even as the telecom company was flooded with similar pleas by several agencies.
A letter from Arun K Sinha, a joint secretary-rank officer in RAW, complained to the Department of Telecom about the "unacceptable" approach of the telecom service provider of not following the instruction with regard to interception of some telephone numbers.
Though the telecom company replied that the targeted telephone numbers will be put on tapping "once (they) get the space", RAW protested saying "this is an unacceptable situation in the context of our national security."
The telecom company was not only directed to comply with the demand of the RAW, which it eventually did on priority basis, but it was also asked to explain the circumstances after which they furnished a reply to the intelligence agency.
When contacted, Bharti Airtel spokesperson said "as a policy, we do not comment on matters related to national security."
Over 9,500 phones are being lawfully tapped in various states out of which nearly 4,500 phones were intercepted during the month of August whereas more than 5,000 phones were already being tapped.
Out of this, RAW is monitoring only 10 phones.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked