Young Indians taking pilgrimage trips on the rise
New Delhi: Religious travels in India are no
longer just for the oldies. An increasing number of young
people between the age group of 20-30 years are undertaking
pilgrimage at least once a year, says a survey by Trip advisor.
According to a survey conducted by the travel website, 70
per cent respondents between the age group of 20-30 said they
visit religious destinations once a year.
As per the study, 87 per cent travelers have taken a
pilgrimage or religious travel at least once in their lives
and 57 per cent travel for the same at least once in a year.
"It`s not entirely unexpected to find so many Indians
heading for pilgrimages and so frequently too, but the real
surprise is the percentage of 20-30 year-olds, who are taking
to religious travel," Trip advisor India Country Manager Nikhil
The company had conducted the pilgrimage survey online
amongst over 3,800 Indian travelers.
The study also revealed that 96 per cent of the
respondents combined pilgrimage travel with leisure and
explore the other destinations.
As many as 75 per cent said they do not consider
austerity as a sign of their reverence or sincerity and
dismissed practice of austere measures like avoiding luxury
stay and indulgent food while on pilgrimage.
The top favourite pilgrimage destinations in India are
Tirupati, Shirdi, Vaishno Devi, Golden Temple and Ajmer Sharif
Dargah, according to the study.
The travelers are, however, unhappy with the facilities
at these locations with 50 per cent of them saying the
condition of religious sites is poor, while 81.5 per cent said
public utilities such as sanitation and drinking water are a
big problem area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets