Youth Cong appointments only through poll process: Rahul
Mahad (Maha): Youth Congress office-bearers would henceforth be appointed not from Delhi, but through organisational elections, AICC general secretary Rahul Gandhi said here on Saturday.
Rahul was addressing meetings with youth and Congress workers -- which saw participation of women in large numbers -- during the last leg of his three-day visit to Maharashtra.
"Earlier Youth Congress was taken for granted and its chief used to be appointed from Delhi. Henceforth, such a thing will not happen," he said.
Later, addressing meetings of nomadic tribes and youth from Sangli, Kolhapur, Madha and Pune Lok Sabha constituencies at Satara in western Maharashtra, Rahul said, "In other parties, the organisational structure is dictated from the top. I don`t want this structure in Youth Congress."
"I want to ensure that the functionaries are chosen from grassroot level. In the Youth Congress elections slated after two and a half months, this will be ensured," he said.
"For some, their party has become an ancestral property, a passport. I don`t want this in Congress," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened