Youth icon Rahul faces daunting task to galvanise Congress
New Delhi: Catapulted to the top rung of Congress leadership, the party`s youth icon Rahul Gandhi, touted as the future prime minister, faces the daunting task of reversing the slide in its support base and harvest the soaring young population into its voters.
A fourth-generation scion of the politically powerful Nehru Gandhi family, 42-year-old Rahul`s place under the sun has highlighted the party`s lack of alternatives and its continuing reliance on the first political family for leadership and direction.
Rahul, an AICC General Secretary before being elevated to the post of Vice-President, raised his political profile and emerged from his parents` shadow in charting UPA`s return to power in 2009 and helping the party`s resurgence in Uttar Pradesh.
He brought the most unexpected cheer to Congress in the 2009 Lok Sabha elections and the party will now look up to him for a hat-trick at the Centre.
The Congress MP from Amethi in Uttar Pradesh, widely credited for bringing young faces in the Congress at the grassroot level, has been learning the political ropes by spending time in his constituency and other villages.
After helping Congress in bagging 21 out of the 80 seats in Uttar Pradesh in the 2009 Lok Sabha elections, his party`s showing in the 2012 Assembly elections in the crucial state came as a dampener despite extensively campaigning. The party came a disappointing fourth in the elections which was swept by Mulayam Yadav`s Samajwadi party.
Born on June 19, 1970, the son of assassinated former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi and his Italian-born widow, Sonia was seen as a shy man whose interests lay more in cricket matches and the outdoors than in political life.
His decision to enter formal politics before the 2004 general election therefore took many by surprise.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Two ISIS operatives, planning to target religious places, arrested by Gujarat ATS