Zardari felicitates Sonia Gandhi on being elected as Cong prez
Islamabad: Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari has felicitated Indian National Congress leader Sonia Gandhi on being elected president of the party for a record fourth term.
Zardari, currently in the southern port city of Karachi, congratulated Gandhi during a telephonic conversation last evening, said a statement issued by his office.
Gandhi thanked the President for the message of felicitation and offered condolences and sympathies for the devastation caused by the unprecedented floods in Pakistan.
She expressed the hope that the people and government of Pakistan will "triumph over the tragic devastation".
Zardari said the floods may have been caused by climate change and emphasised the need for countries in the region to work together to tackle this challenge.
Agreeing with the President, Gandhi said climate change is a trans-national issue that can best be addressed through regional and international cooperation.
India has offered USD 25 million as aid for the 20 million victims of the floods that have caused widespread destruction across Pakistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi