Zardari felicitates Sonia Gandhi on being elected as Cong prez
Islamabad: Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari has felicitated Indian National Congress leader Sonia Gandhi on being elected president of the party for a record fourth term.
Zardari, currently in the southern port city of Karachi, congratulated Gandhi during a telephonic conversation last evening, said a statement issued by his office.
Gandhi thanked the President for the message of felicitation and offered condolences and sympathies for the devastation caused by the unprecedented floods in Pakistan.
She expressed the hope that the people and government of Pakistan will "triumph over the tragic devastation".
Zardari said the floods may have been caused by climate change and emphasised the need for countries in the region to work together to tackle this challenge.
Agreeing with the President, Gandhi said climate change is a trans-national issue that can best be addressed through regional and international cooperation.
India has offered USD 25 million as aid for the 20 million victims of the floods that have caused widespread destruction across Pakistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe