Zardari felicitates Sonia Gandhi on being elected as Cong prez
Islamabad: Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari has felicitated Indian National Congress leader Sonia Gandhi on being elected president of the party for a record fourth term.
Zardari, currently in the southern port city of Karachi, congratulated Gandhi during a telephonic conversation last evening, said a statement issued by his office.
Gandhi thanked the President for the message of felicitation and offered condolences and sympathies for the devastation caused by the unprecedented floods in Pakistan.
She expressed the hope that the people and government of Pakistan will "triumph over the tragic devastation".
Zardari said the floods may have been caused by climate change and emphasised the need for countries in the region to work together to tackle this challenge.
Agreeing with the President, Gandhi said climate change is a trans-national issue that can best be addressed through regional and international cooperation.
India has offered USD 25 million as aid for the 20 million victims of the floods that have caused widespread destruction across Pakistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery