Zee Editors bail deferred as PP, IO fail to turn up
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Saturday deferred, till Monday, the bail pleas of Zee News editors, Sudhir Chaudhary (Zee News) and Samir Ahluwalia (Zee Business) as the Public Prosecutor and the Investigating Officer of the case did not appear before the court.
The court of Metropolitan Magistrate Gaurav Rao stringently pulled up the Delhi Police for their failure to make an appearance. The court has further sought a special explanation from the DCP (Crime) regarding the above matter.
"Why the IO and the PP are not available despite a prior information from this court? Let, a written explanation be filed by the DCP concerned," said Rao.
On Friday, the court sent Sudhir Chaudhary and Samir Ahluwalia to 14-day judicial custody in connection with a case relating to the expose of Coalgate involving Congress MP and industrialist Naveen Jindal.
Jindal’s firm Jindal Steel and Power Ltd (JSPL) had figured in the list of beneficiaries in the Rs 1.86 lakh crore coal block allocation scam.
Earlier, Zee News Ltd had termed the arrests of its Editors as an attack on freedom of press.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- Amjad Sabri laid to rest amid tears, thousands attend Karachi funeral
- Euro 2016: Wayne Rooney and Roy Hodgson seek more ruthless from England against Iceland
- Gunman, who opened fire at German cinema complex before being shot dead, acted alone
- 'NSG applications of Pakistan, India should be considered together'
- Jung, Meena will be summoned over Sheila govt 'scams': Dy Speaker