Zee Editors bail deferred as PP, IO fail to turn up
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Saturday deferred, till Monday, the bail pleas of Zee News editors, Sudhir Chaudhary (Zee News) and Samir Ahluwalia (Zee Business) as the Public Prosecutor and the Investigating Officer of the case did not appear before the court.
The court of Metropolitan Magistrate Gaurav Rao stringently pulled up the Delhi Police for their failure to make an appearance. The court has further sought a special explanation from the DCP (Crime) regarding the above matter.
"Why the IO and the PP are not available despite a prior information from this court? Let, a written explanation be filed by the DCP concerned," said Rao.
On Friday, the court sent Sudhir Chaudhary and Samir Ahluwalia to 14-day judicial custody in connection with a case relating to the expose of Coalgate involving Congress MP and industrialist Naveen Jindal.
Jindal’s firm Jindal Steel and Power Ltd (JSPL) had figured in the list of beneficiaries in the Rs 1.86 lakh crore coal block allocation scam.
Earlier, Zee News Ltd had termed the arrests of its Editors as an attack on freedom of press.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan