Zee Editors bail deferred as PP, IO fail to turn up
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Saturday deferred, till Monday, the bail pleas of Zee News editors, Sudhir Chaudhary (Zee News) and Samir Ahluwalia (Zee Business) as the Public Prosecutor and the Investigating Officer of the case did not appear before the court.
The court of Metropolitan Magistrate Gaurav Rao stringently pulled up the Delhi Police for their failure to make an appearance. The court has further sought a special explanation from the DCP (Crime) regarding the above matter.
"Why the IO and the PP are not available despite a prior information from this court? Let, a written explanation be filed by the DCP concerned," said Rao.
On Friday, the court sent Sudhir Chaudhary and Samir Ahluwalia to 14-day judicial custody in connection with a case relating to the expose of Coalgate involving Congress MP and industrialist Naveen Jindal.
Jindal’s firm Jindal Steel and Power Ltd (JSPL) had figured in the list of beneficiaries in the Rs 1.86 lakh crore coal block allocation scam.
Earlier, Zee News Ltd had termed the arrests of its Editors as an attack on freedom of press.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air