Zee Editors bail deferred as PP, IO fail to turn up
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Saturday deferred, till Monday, the bail pleas of Zee News editors, Sudhir Chaudhary (Zee News) and Samir Ahluwalia (Zee Business) as the Public Prosecutor and the Investigating Officer of the case did not appear before the court.
The court of Metropolitan Magistrate Gaurav Rao stringently pulled up the Delhi Police for their failure to make an appearance. The court has further sought a special explanation from the DCP (Crime) regarding the above matter.
"Why the IO and the PP are not available despite a prior information from this court? Let, a written explanation be filed by the DCP concerned," said Rao.
On Friday, the court sent Sudhir Chaudhary and Samir Ahluwalia to 14-day judicial custody in connection with a case relating to the expose of Coalgate involving Congress MP and industrialist Naveen Jindal.
Jindal’s firm Jindal Steel and Power Ltd (JSPL) had figured in the list of beneficiaries in the Rs 1.86 lakh crore coal block allocation scam.
Earlier, Zee News Ltd had termed the arrests of its Editors as an attack on freedom of press.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test launches first ever indigenous space shuttle
- PM Modi to meet top Iranian leaders today
- Pakistan denounces US drone strike on Taliban chief Mullah Mansoor
- BJP's Roopa Ganguly attacked by Trinamool workers near Kolkata
- PM Modi in Tehran: India, Iran sign historic pact on Chabahar port
- Poll defeat triggers infighting in Congress? Now, Satyavrat Chaturvedi attacks Digvijaya Singh
- READ: Virender Sehwag's important message to parents, students after CBSE class 12 results
- Hangul, the rare Kashmir deer, may soon go extinct
- Twitter war: Verbal duel between Smriti Irani and Congress' Priyanka Chaturvedi - Know what happened
- WATCH: DD vs RCB highlights - Virat Kohli steals show with match-winning knock