Zee News journo heckled by Team Anna `supporters`
New Delhi: Poor response to their latest round of fast seems to have disillusioned Team Anna supporters who on Friday heckled journalists who were covering their fast at Jantar Mantar.
Among those with whom Team Anna supporters misbehaved included several women journalists and Zee News reporter Kuldeep Singh.
Singh’s reportage of thin crowd at the fast venue irked the supporters who then heckled him.
The incident came as people failed to turn up in large numbers at the fast venue for the third straight day.
The crowd count was around 300 at 11 am when Anna Hazare took the dais along with his close aides at Jantar Mantar. The protest site wore a deserted look with people seen only near the stage.
Fasting Team Anna member Arvind Kejriwal, a diabetic whose health condition worsened a bit, made a brief appearance at the dais while others like Manish Sisodia and Gopal Rai sat with Hazare.
Another Team Anna member Kiran Bedi was not present. She tweeted, "today in Pune for two prior committed speaking engagements. Perhaps a bit of a break of a different kind".
As Hazare took to the stage, some people misbehaved with media persons and even pushed them.
After journalists complained to police, organisers announced that those indulging in such acts were not with the movement and police should take action against them.
Organisers blamed the incident on miscreants who are out to disrupt the fast.
Later, journalists identified a person who misbehaved with a woman media person and handed him over to volunteers.
Two women journalists said that they were pushed by some men who misbehaved with them.
Questions are already being asked whether Team Anna’s movement against corruption has fizzled out with less and less number of people coming out to support their cause.
Unlike in the past, crowds that had thronged the protest venue are missing this time. The organisers had yesterday issued appeals to "mothers, wives and daughters" to flock to the protest site at Jantar Mantar on Friday.
The fast in Mumbai last December showed the movement had lost steam and the latest round at Jantar Mantar also appears to be headed for an early wind up if crowds fail to turn up in the next few days also.
Meanwhile, yoga guru Baba Ramdev is expected to be at the fast venue later today at 3.30 pm and will bring in much needed crowd in the form of his supporters.
There is a general feeling of confusion among the masses about which way the movement is headed. While Team Anna’s main focus was Lokpal Bill till last year, this time around they are demanding an SIT against corrupt Union Cabinet ministers.
Also, Hazare and his team members appear to be speaking in different voices.
On Thursday too, Hazare refused to endorse his aides` attack against President Pranab Mukherjee.
Hazare appeared not in sync with his close aides levelling allegations against Mukherjee, who was sworn in as the new President, when he congratulated him on assuming the highest Constitutional office.
"He is the top most person in the country by becoming the President. I congratulate him," Hazare told reporters and refused to talk about the allegations raised by Team Anna against him, saying, "I do not want to speak about it."
In his speech also at the protest venue, he did not speak about Mukherjee or Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
Team Anna had even masked the photograph of Mukherjee in a collage at the site in a symbolic protest, alleging Congress has managed to put the `chadar` (veil) of Constitution on the President, who has the immunity against any investigation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'