15 Crazy-Interesting facts you didn't know about Google!
As they say, when in doubt turn to Google! Google seems to be one stop solution to all your queries however random and weird they might get.
As they say, when in doubt turn to Google! Google seems to be one stop solution to all your queries however random and weird they might get. Won't be an exaggeration to say that life is almost unthinkable without it now. You use it almost daily, but how well do you know it?
Read on to enjoy some interesting facts about your favourite Google :
- The name Google was a misspelling. Yes, Google got its name by an accident. The founders misspelled "googol", which refers to the number 1 followed by 100 zeroes.
- Google's original name was Backrub based on system finding and ranking pages based on back links.
- In 2002, Yahoo walked away from a deal in 2002 to buy Google for $3 billion. Today, Google is worth about $350 billion. Imagine where Yahoo would have been today had it accepted the deal!
- The company owns a bunch of domains that are common misspellings of Google, like Gooogle.com, Gogle.com, Googlr.com and more. Interestingly, it also owns the domain GoogleSucks.com.
- In 1999, the founders of Google actually tried to sell it to Excite for just US$1 million and like Yahoo, Excite turned them down too.
- Type the words “I want to commit suicide” on the Google homepage. Since Google doesn't want you to die, it provides the Suicide Helpline number of your country.
- Google has a pet T-rex, named Stan, which lives at their California headquarters. Founders bought it to remind the employees to not let Google go extinct.
- Google HQ rents goats from California Grazing to mow their lawns and fields. Yes you heard it right! The employees think that it’s a lot cuter to watch goats do the mowing than lawn mowers.
- Larry Page and Sergey Brin made the first Google Doodle in August 1998. They were heading to Burning Man in the Nevada desert, and wanted people to know where the Google crew would be for a few days, so they added the festival's logo.
- Google is ultra-fast! Now Google can process millions of page per second whereas the early pages of Google could only process 30-50 pages per second.
- Google has been acquiring, on average, more than one company per week since 2010. Are you counting?
- Though hardly used, the "I'm feeling lucky" button costs Google US$110 million per year, as it bypasses all ads.
- Google intends to scan all known existing 129 million unique books before 2020.
- Employees of Google are called Googlers while the new ones are called Nooglers.
- When a Google employee dies, their spouses receive half pay from the company for 10 years and their children US$1,000 per month until they turn 19.
Impressed? So how many of these did you know?