3 in 10 Americans use Facebook as main news source: Survey
Johannesburg: At least 30 percent of the overall US population that uses Facebook is found to the site`s news consumer, which means, their source of news is the social media giant, a PEW survey has revealed.
The study conducted by the Pew Research Centre has found that Facebook is becoming a key source of news for users of the huge social network, even if people discover articles mostly by happenstance.
It was revealed that 64 percent of the US adults use Facebook, and nearly half of those get some news from the service, News24 reports.
However, 78 percent of this group gets news mainly when they are on Facebook for other reasons, such as checking on friends or sharing photos.
Pew Research Centre`s director of journalism research, Amy Mitchell said that people go to Facebook to share personal moments, and they discover the news almost incidentally.
The study, conducted on 5,173 US adults, found that some 38 percent of Facebook news consumers who say they follow the news `all` or `most of the time` describe the social network as an important way they get news.
It was further noticed that those in the 18 to 29-year-old age bracket account for about a third of Facebook news consumers .
Authors of the study state that Facebook exposes some people to news who otherwise might not get it by delivering news through shared links from friends, as it was found that Facebook users click on a news link most often because of their interest in the topic or a friend`s recommendation, and just 20 percent did so because of the news organisation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow