500,000 Android devices activated each day: Google
Washington: More than 500,000 devices
running Google`s Android software are being activated every
day, a senior Google executive said today.
Andy Rubin, creator of the Android operating system
and a Google vice president for engineering, made the
announcement in a message on his Twitter feed, @Arubin.
"There are now over 500,000 Android devices
activated every day," he said.
Rubin said the number of Android devices being
activated is growing at 4.4 percent week on week.
Google announced during a developers conference in
May that 400,000 Android devices were being activated every
day, up from 300,000 in December.
A number of leading handset manufacturers use the
free software from Google to power their devices, and the
Mountain View, California company also supplies a version of
the operating system for touchscreen tablet computers.
Industry tracker comScore said last month that
Android-powered smartphones had widened their lead on
BlackBerry handsets in the US market during the first three
months of the year.
Android smartphones dethroned BlackBerry in January
by capturing 31.2 percent of the US market and that share grew
to 34.7 percent by the end of March, according to comScore.
BlackBerry handsets, made by Canada`s Research In
Motion (RIM), ended March with 27.1 percent of the US market,
according to comScore.
Apple was close behind RIM with iPhones commanding
25.5 percent of the market, comScore said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list