6% American adults online now use Reddit: Study
Washington: A new study has revealed that 6 percent of American adults online reportedly use Reddit, a self-proclaimed first page of Internet which allows users to submit links and vote them up or down based on their quality, novelty or general ability to generate amusement,
According to the study by Pew Center`s Internet and American Life project, the six percent of people who frequent the site put Reddit at par with with Tumblr as compared to Twitter which is used by 1 6 percent of American adults online and 67 percent of those who use Facebook, Washington Post reports.
The report said that young men are most likely to use Reddit with about 15 percent of male Internet users between ages 18 and 29 said that they use the site as compared to five percent of women of the same age.
The increase in number of people using the site indicate towards the rise in awareness about Reddit which was founded in 2005 by Alexis Ohanian and Steve Huffman and sold to Conde Nast in 2006.
Reddit has served as an online spot for simply finding something amusing but has also been used as a forum for political action and for tapping into the flow of online discussion.
According to the report, President Barack Obama joined the site to participate in its regular and mostly open question-and-answer sessions.
Reddit reported 71 million unique visitors in May and said it was on track to hit 5 billion page views this year. Last year, the site reported about 2 billion page views for the year and 34 million unique views in a month.
The study found that young men are the site`s most dedicated users and eight percent of men and five percent of women between the ages of 30 and 49 are using the site while those aged 50-64 are three percent and two percent respectively.
The report further added that three percent of men aged 65 said that they used Reddit compared to only one percent of women of that age.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Child critically injured as crude bomb explodes in Kolkata
- Indian govt signs historic Naga peace accord with NSCN(I-M)
- Delhi HC issues notice to Kejriwal govt on advertisement expenses
- Allahabad: Controversy over bar owner's appointment as Mahamandaleshwar
- FTII students stage protest at Jantar Mantar in Delhi
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites