69% cyber attacks targeted at large companies in India: Report
New Delhi: Despite stepped up information security measures, businesses in India continue to be an attractive target for cybercriminals with as many as 69 percent targeted attacks being focused on large enterprises, a report said here Thursday.
“Globally targeted attacks were up 91 percent and lasted an average of three times longer compared to 2012. In India, cybercriminals are unrelenting in their focus on large enterprises with a staggering 69 percent targeted attacks carried out against them.
“Despite stepping up their information security measures, businesses in India continue to be an attractive target for cybercriminals,” said the Internet Security Threat Report, based on data from Symantec’s Global Intelligence Network.
“One mega breach can be worth 50 smaller attacks,” said Tarun Kaura, director, technology sales at Symantec India. “While the level of sophistication continues to grow among attackers, what was surprising last year was their willingness to be a lot more patient - waiting to strike until the reward is bigger and better.”
The report by security software maker Symantec said globally there was a 62 percent increase in the number of data breaches from the previous year resulting in more than 552 million identities being exposed. Each of the eight top data breaches in 2013 resulted in the loss of tens of millions of data records.
By comparison, 2012 only had a single data breach reach that threshold.
The report also said that India has emerged as a key threat frontier, ranking as the third highest source of overall malicious activity. In India, nearly four in 10 attacks were carried out on non-traditional services industries like hospitality, business and personal services. This was followed by attacks on manufacturing, finance and insurance sectors.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy