`A software to make computer conversation useful`
London: Scientists are on track to develop a new software which they claim would make conversing with a computer rather more productive.
According to the `New Scientist`, an international team is working on an already developed technology known as automatic speech recognition (ASR) which converts the spoken word to text.
"State-of-the-art ASR has an error rate of 30 to 35
per cent, and that`s just very annoying," Simon Tucker at the
University of Sheffield in the UK said.
What`s more, even when ASR gets it right the results
can be unsatisfactory, as simply transcribing what someone
says often makes for awkward reading. People`s speech can be
peppered with repetition, or sentences that just tail off.
"Even if you had perfect transcription of the words,
it`s often the case that you still couldn`t tell what was
going on," sai Alex Pentland, who directs the Human Dynamics
Lab at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. "People`s
language use is very indirect and idiomatic," he added.
In fact, the team has developed a system called
Catchup, designed to summarise in almost real time what has
been said at a business meeting so the latecomers can well,
catch up with what they missed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Kerala Plus Two Results 2015 on keralaresults.nic.in
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset