Access Facebook in 8 Indian languages from mobile phones
New Delhi: Social networking website Facebook
today announced a facility for its users to access the site in
eight Indian languages from mobile phones.
This will be rolled out in phases over the next few weeks,
"With over 50 million people in India on Facebook, we want
to make sure that everyone has a great Facebook mobile
experience regardless of the device that they choose to use,"
Facebook`s Country Growth Manager Kevin D`Souza said in a
With this, Facebook users can access the site by using
`Facebook for Every Phone mobile application` in three
national languages Hindi, Malay and Vietnamese and seven
local Indian languages Gujarati, Tamil, Malayalam, Kannada,
Punjabi, Bengali and Marathi.
Earlier, users could access Facebook only in English. The
application was originally launched in July 2011 and now works
on more than 3600 Java-enabled phones around the world.
India is second largest market for the social networking
website after United States. In March, the company said it is
experiencing rapid revenue growth in markets such as Brazil
and India due to rise in the number of users and increased
sales efforts in those markets.
As on December 31, 2011, Facebook had 46 million monthly
active users (MAUs) in India which was an increase of 132 per
cent from the previous year.
The company currently has more than 800 million monthly
active users and over 350 million mobile users worldwide, the
Facebook, which is in the process of coming up with its
Initial Public Offer, recently secured credit deal worth a
whopping USD 8 billion from a consortium of banks.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- WATCH: Rare CCTV video of Ajmal Kasab and other terrorists of 26/11 Mumbai attacks
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate