Amateurs battle malware, hackers in UK cybergames
Bristol: Amateur cyber sleuths have been hunting malware, raising firewalls and fending off mock hack attacks in a series of simulations supported in part by Britain`s eavesdropping agency.
The games are intended to pull badly-needed talent into the country`s burgeoning cyber security sector, according to former security minister Pauline Neville-Jones, who spoke at a closing ceremony held Sunday at the Science Museum in the English port city of Bristol.
"The flow of people we have at the moment is wholly inadequate," she said, warning of a skills gap "which threatens the economic future of this country."
The exercises, dubbed the Cyber Security Challenge, are intended to help bridge that gap, drawing thousands of participants who spent weeks shoring up vulnerable home networks, cracking weak codes and combing through corrupted hard drives in a series of tests designed by companies such as UK defence contractor QinetiQ and data security firm Sophos.
The challenge was supported in part by British signals intelligence agency GCHQ and Scotland Yard`s e-crimes unit — a sign of the government`s concern with supporting a rapidly-developing field.
The government is spending 650 million pounds (about $1 billion) to boost its electronic defence capabilities. Britain`s military recently opened a global cyber-operations centre in the English market town of Corsham, and last month police announced the creation of three new regional cyber crime units.
Event organizer Judy Baker warned there weren`t enough skilled people to work in the newly created jobs, complaining that cyber security was barely on the radar of high school guidance counsellors and that too few universities offered degrees in the field.
"The front door into cyber security is not clear at all," she said.
The competition was closed to cyber security professionals, so many of the 4,000-odd participants — such as the 19-year-old winner, Cambridge University student Jonathan Millican — were aspiring computer scientists. Others were engineers or hobbyists.
Senior GCHQ official Jonathan Hoyle made a brief speech Sunday, inviting Millican and other prize-winners to come visit the secretive organization`s headquarters in Chelthenham, about 95 miles (150 kilometres) northwest of London.
Millican was excited by the prospect, saying: "It`s not somewhere many people just go."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in